Books, debate, what else?  

Posted by The Ordinary

Hey folks! R.G. here. Well lately I have been tossing around some ideas of some stuff to do over the summer. And I was wondering what you all would think about reviving the debate club idea, or having a book club. Here are the details for both.

Debate -

Meetings - 3-4 meetings over the summer. More if possible

Where - At different houses of members

Topics- Discuss Political issues of today as well as moral and philosophical issues from the past. (Historical events, etc.)

Type of debate - Team and one on one.


Book club-

Meetings - 5-6, possibly more.

Where - My house and/or other members' houses

Topics - We would each read a different book by one author and discuss the similarities, allegories, and other base materials hidden within.

Other- Snacks included!


So this is basically just a temporary idea. It most likely wont work out, but i wanted to know what ya'll thought about it. If you have any ideas, please share them!


Always,


R.G.

Meetings

This entry was posted on 1:48 PM . You can leave a response and follow any responses to this entry through the Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom) .

14 comments

I'd love to do debate; the issue is that we'd have to do it properly, rather than having people screaming at other people. :-) If you have Jeb's or some other "debate book" off of which to base structure, et cetera, it might help. The other problem is that I'm a Fredneck, so getting down to anybody's house might be a monster.

As for book clubs: all right, you've hooked me. I'm a bibliophile. All in! Again, driving might be a problem.

Anonymous  

I'm with Elizabeth: I'd love to do it, but we need to keep ourselves in check. I need to talk with my parents about it, but my house MAY be open if this debate/book club thing works out.

yaaaaa......... sounds like more school to me.....

of course the debate idea is kind of cool because i love debating over political issues ........

Elizabeth -

We could use RROF, which applies to debate as well as the court system. My sis may be able to mod at times, and she's great. The driving part is an issue. I'll have to think about it.

Robert - Definatly ask your parents! Im glad you gave a quick response :)

John - I you mean that it is somthing that will increase our learniong capabilities, yes. You are of course entitled to your own opinion.

John- Your political squabbles with cody about "Obama is good" and "Down with clinton" are far from being an organized debate, or any debate at all for that matter. Its more like two toddlers wailing back and forth at each other =/

cassidy  

I think its a cool idea but I'd have to check with my mom cuz I'm pretty busy this summer. Great idea though-

Correction :). Not RROF, but RROO or RRO. (Robert's Rule's Of Order) And yes it is real. The entire court system is based on it.

Anonymous  

Bob, you mean that RRO is based on the entire court system? ;-)

Nope. I mean exactly what i said. RRO is the basis of our court system. The court system IS NOT the basis for RRO

I have a really bad feeling about the debate club so count me out. But I might do the book club as long as you pick good books. I'm also really busy throughout the summer so I won't be able to make all the meetings.

ooo... count me in I live this kinda thing I always win. (except when it come to the moon being made of bleu cheese or swiss cheese) when is it?


Nate

robert's rules of order?? haha how do you know about that? i actually have a laminated copy of it since we use it at our exec board meetings for psp.

sophia  

yeah i'm actually kinda busy this summer and well, I don't know about a debate team (I might prefer not) and book reading club... yeah, i'm not a fan of intense book reading ;)but good idea

O.K.! looks like it may be comin together. I'll see if i can get another post in...